The term cosmetic dentistry is used to when referring to any kind of dental work that is meant to improve upon the appearance of the person even if it does not function as normal teeth. This includes changing of the appearance the gums, teeth or bite. Its major focus is on improving the dental aesthetics of position, color, shape, alignment, appearance and color. Many times cosmetic dentistry involves elective procedures, and not essential. People who have broken, chipped, discolored, stained and misaligned teeth mostly utilize cosmetic dentistry. One may have to undergo more than one cosmetic procedure where you have a treatment plan with your dentist.
All that said – cosmetic dentistry could greatly increase your quality of life. Although it may not be essential to whiten your teeth or realign your smile, often times there are underlying problems that make a cosmetic procedure necessary.
Types of cosmetic dentistry:
- Teeth whitening. It is also known as tooth bleaching and it is dental cosmetic procedure that is most common. Today there are many options for teeth whitening where there are even over the counter though it is recommended that one should always get the treatments that are dentist supervised.
- Dental veneers. These are wafer thin and shells that are custom made of resin or porcelain which is used in covering the teeth on the front surface. Around half millimeter of enamel is removed from the tooth’s surface and the thin shells are then cemented on the front part of the teeth hence there will be changes on the length, size, shape and color of the teeth. Veneers in most cases are referred to as the Hollywood teeth.
- Dental Bonding. Here the tooth which is colored is applied resin which is putty-like that is a plastic material which is durable then hardened using laser light or ultra violet hence bonding this material to the tooth. The dentist will then shape, trim and polish it. Bonding can be used to repair chipped, decayed, misshapen or a cracked tooth. This process usually takes from 30 to around 60 minutes.
- Dental crown. It is also known as cap which is used to fit over or to replace the whole teeth which are damaged or decayed on the gum line hence restoring its original shape, strength, size and even appearance. It helps a tooth that is weak not to break and still holds the tooth that is cracked together.
- Inlays and onlays. They are also known as direct fillings which could be made of porcelain, gold or a composite material which is used to fill up the tooth that is damaged or decayed. They are created in the dental laboratory then bonded to the right place by a dentist.
All of the above cosmetic dentistry procedures are provided right here in Chico at Philadelphia Square Dental Care. Contact us for a free cosmetic dentistry consultation.