Scaling and Root Planing - Chico, CA
Scaling and Root Planing is commonly known as Conventional Periodontal Therapy or deep cleaning. This is a process of removing dental plaque, calculus, and smoking from the surfaces of the teeth roots. The scaling and root planing procedure helps to set a periodontium that prevents periodontal disease.
Scaling and Root Planing is known to be one of the most effective methods to prevent and get rid of gum disease. This method helps to properly clean between gums and teeth and reduce the possibility of gum diseases. Both scaling and root planing are nonsurgical procedures which can be done under local anesthetic. During the scaling and root planing procedure, a scaler is used to scrub away plaque or tartar from the gums.
Why Get Scaling and Root Planing?
Scaling and Root Planing is the best treatment if you are experiencing gum disease to help boost your oral health by eliminating plaque or calculus through deep cleaning. Pockets, which is caused by gum disease, are really bad for oral health, as they allow plaque, tartar, and bacteria to build up between gums and teeth which then leads to decay, infection, or tooth loss.
Some crucial benefits of root planing and scaling are:
- Prevents gum disease and improve gum health.
- Protects the tooth's roots by eliminating harmful plaque and bacteria.
- Reduce bad breath which associated with gum disease.
- Prevents tooth decay, periodontal pockets, plaque, and tartar.
- Prevents tooth loss by stopping infection plus decay nearby the teeth roots.
Scaling and Root Planing Procedure
The treatment of scaling and root planing may comprise several steps.
Dr. Choti will evaluate the condition of your teeth and gums using x-rays images during your initial appointment. Throughout the evaluation process, Dr. Choti will identify if your teeth have, or have not, been completely affected yet.
Before beginning scaling and root planing procedures, Dr. Choti will need to numb in the necessary area to proceed the treatment.
- The first step of the treatment is the removal of plaque and microbial biofilm from the teeth.
- After the removal of plaque and microbial biofilm, periodontal cleaning, or deep cleaning is required.
- After scaling, oral irrigation of tissues need to be done using Chlorhexidine-Gluconate.
- Antibiotics may need to be place inside the periodontal-pocket to give extra healing of infected tissues which eliminate any further bacteria.